Smarter Holiday Shopping with your Smart Phone
Holiday shopping can try everyone’s patience. Try these strategies for saving money and time, using your smart phone as a new shopping tool.
Make a list, and stick to it
- Determine your holiday budget up front, not when you’re in the store or at a website, being bombarded with beautiful displays or screen pop-ups.
- Use a note or document function on your phone to develop the list, and check off purchases you make.
Compare prices and find the best bargain before you hit the road
- “Price Check” by Amazon, www.savings.com or www.Pricegrabber.com are highly recommended resources to ensure you will get the best price on a gift you are shopping for, either on line, or at a brick & mortar store.
Scan a QR code with your phone
- Get product reviews, information about where to purchase an item, and maybe even a money saving coupon.
- QR codes are popping up nearly everywhere these days in magazines, newspaper ads, or posters in stores.
- Lets you snap a picture of an object like a book cover or a product container to search the web to alert you to the best price, location, and reviews.
Score a savings trifecta
- When you purchase an item on sale, apply a dollar or percentage off coupon (if allowable by the merchant), and get free shipping on an item purchased on line.
Use the map and navigation apps on your smart phone
- Plan your most efficient route between stores, to save time and gas, when patronizing a local merchant.
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
- Even with the best navigation strategy, you’ll need to fill your gas tank now and then.
Use an app such as Expensify or Lemon to eliminate receipts paper clutter
- Scanning receipts with these apps keeps an electronic copy handy, and lets you track spending, create spending report categories, and more.
- You’ll even have the receipt handy if the item has to be returned to the store for a refund or exchange.
Use your calendar function
- Remind yourself of an appointment for a break or lunch with a friend,
- celebrate your savings success and
- rejuvenate before heading out to wrap up your holiday shopping.