Smarter Holiday Shopping with your Smart Phone
Return to Home and Family Agent Articles
Holiday shopping can try everyone’s patience. Try these strategies for saving money and time, using your smart phone as a new shopping tool.
Make a list, and stick to it
- Determine your holiday budget up front, not when you’re in the store or at a website, being bombarded with beautiful displays or screen pop-ups.
- Use a note or document function on your phone to develop the list, and check off purchases you make.
Compare prices and find the best bargain before you hit the road
- “Price Check” by Amazon, www.savings.com or www.Pricegrabber.com are highly recommended resources to ensure you will get the best price on a gift you are shopping for, either on line, or at a brick & mortar store.
Scan a QR code with your phone
- Get product reviews, information about where to purchase an item, and maybe even a money saving coupon.
- QR codes are popping up nearly everywhere these days in magazines, newspaper ads, or posters in stores.
- Lets you snap a picture of an object like a book cover or a product container to search the web to alert you to the best price, location, and reviews.
Score a savings trifecta
- When you purchase an item on sale, apply a dollar or percentage off coupon (if allowable by the merchant), and get free shipping on an item purchased on line.
Use the map and navigation apps on your smart phone
- Plan your most efficient route between stores, to save time and gas, when patronizing a local merchant.
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
- Even with the best navigation strategy, you’ll need to fill your gas tank now and then.
Use an app such as Expensify or Lemon to eliminate receipts paper clutter
- Scanning receipts with these apps keeps an electronic copy handy, and lets you track spending, create spending report categories, and more.
- You’ll even have the receipt handy if the item has to be returned to the store for a refund or exchange.
Use your calendar function
- Remind yourself of an appointment for a break or lunch with a friend,
- celebrate your savings success and
- rejuvenate before heading out to wrap up your holiday shopping.