Planting Natives in Kansas City Metro
What is a native plant?
There can be many definitions of a native plant. Native plants are those evolving naturally without the influence of man. They are well adapted to a local ecosystem having formed a beneficial relationship with wildlife.
Why plant natives?
Native plants have many benefits over non-native species. Native plants are well adapted to the climate, soil and moisture patterns. Most importantly they support beneficial species such as nectar, pollen and seeds for the diverse population of butterflies, insects, birds and many other animals.
How can natives be utilized?
Use natives in gardens just like any non-native species. They work well in flower gardens adding a richness in diversity. Native gardens can range from small to large. The best design is one that incorporates native plants blooming from spring through fall and also have winter attributes, thus supporting our beneficials year round.
Getting Started with a Native Planting
This series of videos walks you through the steps of establishing a new native planting.
- Starting a Native Garden
- Soils for Native Gardens
- Planting a Native Garden - Seeds or Plants?
- Designing a Native Garden
- Planting a Native Garden
- Weed Control in a Native Planting
- Mulching a New Native Garden
- Watering to Establish a New Native Garden
- Drip Irrigation - Watering for Establishment
Publications and Fact Sheets:
- Pollinators and Beneficial Insects, K-State University
- Landscaping with Native Plants
- Native Plants for Northeast Kansas
- Milkweed for the Garden
- Creating a Butterfly Habitat
Johnson County Cost Share Program for Establishing Native Gardens
Supported by Johnson County Government, you may be eligible for funding for planting a native garden or implementing other strategies to protect water quality. through the Contain the Rain program. Most Johnson County cities are your first step in applying for funding.
Here are some of the best resources of our local climate.
- Planting Natives in Northeast Kansas – a comprehensive resource of utilizing natives from a larger prairie setting to a backyard garden. Complete with recommended plants and sources.
- Deep Roots Kansas City
- Grow Native Missouri Program