Free Tax Preparation Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Feb. 8-April 15th 2023
- The income threshold to use this service for 2023 is $60,000 or less.
- These services are at no cost to you and are a free service.
- The Johnson County VITA Tax site will offer first-come first-serve walk-in consultations at our Sunset Drive office location, 11811 S. Sunset Drive, Olathe, KS. We do not make appointments.
- Wednesdays 10AM-4PM
- Thursdays 10AM-4PM
- Saturdays 8:30AM-12:00PM
- This service ends on April 15th.
- Tax forms will be accepted by drop off and mail RECEIVED by April 8th. Please allow adequate time for the mail to reach us before the deadline of April 8th. Be prepared to pick up any dropped off or mailed-in paperwork upon notification that your taxes are completed.
- See below for more specific information or to download and print the required forms. Paperwork may also be picked up in our Sunset Drive Office location listed above. A secure drop box is available for drop offs during office hours, Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00.
Required Tax Fillable Documents
Authorizacion de Firma Para Presentar
Hoja de Admisión y Verificación de Calidad
Consentimiento virtual para la Asistencia Voluntaria con los Impuestos sobre los Ingresos
What Photocopies To Submit:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or ITINS for you, your spouse and everyone else on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- IRS Letter 6475 Your Third Economic Impact Payment (optional)
- IRS Letter 6419 if you received the Advance Child Credit
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a voided check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Mailing address:K-State Research and ExtensionAttn: VITA11811 S. Sunset Drive
Olathe, KS 66061
What is VITA?
The IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) a program offer free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals.
The VITA program has operated for over 50 years. VITA sites offer free tax help to people who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns, including:
- People who generally make $60,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities; and
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
While the IRS manages the VITA program, the VITA sites are operated by IRS partners and staffed by volunteers who want to make a difference in their communities. The IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
VITA services are not only free, they are also a reliable and trusted source for preparing tax returns. All VITA volunteers who prepare returns must take and pass tax law training that meets or exceeds IRS standards. This training includes maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of all taxpayer information. In addition to requiring volunteers to certify their knowledge of the tax laws, the IRS requires a quality review check for every return prepared at a VITA site prior to filing. Each filing season, tens of thousands of dedicated VITA volunteers prepare millions of federal and state returns. They also assist taxpayers with the preparation of thousands of Facilitated Self-Assistance returns.