1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Home and Family
  5. »Agent Articles
  6. »Moving Expenses Are Tax Deductible

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Moving Expenses Are Tax Deductible

Return to Home and Family Agent Articles

Recent college graduates who have landed a job and are starting a new career are to be congratulated! Often a move to the new job location is required. Some moving expenses may be deductible on your income tax. Keeping good records of the expenses incurred will help you take advantage of this tax break, even if you don’t itemize deductions on your income tax return.

Moving expenses are deductible if:

  • you move within a year of starting the new job
  • your new job is more than 50 miles from your former home (the distance test)
  • you work full time at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you move (the time test)

Deductible expenses include:

  • reasonable expenses for moving household goods and personal effects
  • travel to the new home
  • lodging en route to the new home

Expenses for meals while traveling to the new home are not deductible.

Use IRS Form 3903 to figure your moving expense deduction. Deduct your moving expenses on IRS Form 1040, line 26.

More information about moving expenses can be found in IRS Publication 521. Read and download the publication here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p521.pdf.

Contact Us

Denise Dias
Family and Consumer Sciences Agent