1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Natural Resources
  5. »Pond Management
  6. »Farm Pond
  7. »Farm Pond Permit Requirements

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Farm Pond Permit Requirements in Kansas

Before you begin the design and construction, or refurbishment of a farm pond in Kansas, it's important that you understand and comply with all permitting requirements.

The following federal and state agencies can assist you with the process. Be sure to check with your county government to see if there are additional permits and requirements not listed here.

Kansas Department of Agriculture (KDA)

When building a new pond or refurbishing an old one, a landowner must obtain a permit from KDA’s Chief Engineer of the Division of Water Resources for the construction, operation and maintenance of any dam that is:

  • 25 feet or more in height, or
  • six feet or more in height with the ability to store 50 acre-feet or more of water.

How to Get Water Appropriation Rights

Landowners must also file for a permit to appropriate water on impoundments built to retain 15 acre-feet or more of surface water.

Water appropriation rights are obtained through the Division of Water Resources.

The fee is based upon the quantity of water for indirect use (evaporation loss from the surface of the water, and seepage loss). The minimum fee is $200.

Warning: Without a water storage appropriation permit, the reservoir could be subject to removal, or required to be drained until a permit is obtained.

For information about pond permits or water rights, contact the KDA Division of Water Resources

  • call 785-296-3717
  • or write to the Division at
    • 109 SW 9th St., 2nd Floor.
    • Topeka, KS 66612-1283

To review application forms, click here.

Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism (KDWPT)

A permit from KDWPT is required to construct a pond or otherwise modify habitat occupied by threatened or endangered fish and wildlife species.

For information, contact the KDWPT Ecological Services Section:

  • call: 620-672-5911
  • email: ess@ksoutdoors.com, or
  • write: the Ecological Services Section,
    • Pratt Operations Office,
    • 512 SE 25th Ave.
    • Pratt, KS 67124-8174

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)

The USACE is responsible for protecting the public interest in waters of the United States. Authorization from the Corps of Engineers is required before work in the waters of the United States can take place. This includes wetlands. This is done through the Department of the Army permit program.

How to Obtain Corps Authorization in Kansas

Warning: Before any work is begun, individuals, companies, corporations, Federal and State agencies, and local governments planning construction activities in a

  • stream,
  • river,
  • lake or
  • wetland

should contact the Kansas City District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Persons planning any construction activities in or near any water body should write or call:

  • U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District,/Regulatory Branch,
  • 601 East 12th Street, Room 402,
  • Kansas City, MO 64106,
  • phone: 816-389-3990
  • FAX: 816-389-2032 or
  • visit the Regulatory Branch website.

United States Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency (USDA FSA)

USDA Farm Service Agency personnel are familiar with pond permit requirements and can help you with the process, including help with filling out applications.

The FSA's Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides funding and technical assistance to farmers and ranchers for these emergency situations:

  • rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters and
  • for carrying out emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought.

ECP program participants receive cost-share assistance. This cost sharing program is administered by the FSA and requires the proper permits. Click here for more information on the Emergency Conservation Program.

Contact the Kansas FSA State Office,

  • KS FSA Contact Us
  • call 785-539-3531
  • or write or visit the Kansas FSA State Office at
    • 3600 Anderson Ave.,
    • Manhattan, KS 66503-2511.

(Natural Resources Conservation Service/Kansas personnel can also provide this assistance.)

Contact Us

Juju Wellemeyer 
Natural Resources and Mid/Small Scale Agriculture Agent       juju.Wellemeyer@jocogov.org