1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Natural Resources
  5. »Pond Management
  6. »Farm Pond
  7. »Building a Farm Pond or Retention Basin

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Building a Farm Pond or Retention Basin

It is important to know the differences between farm ponds, retention basins and detention basins. Retention basins and farm ponds have some overlapping characteristics, but detention basins are much different.

Before you begin, we suggest that you first start here: Pond Identification

Now that you have a clear understanding between the different types of ponds, what do you need to do if you want to build one?

Building a Farm Pond in Kansas

In Kansas, a landowner may need a permit to build a pond, depending on the size. Size is a big issue and this section will provide important guidelines, such as permits required, type of soil needed, etc.

Designing a Farm Pond
The first step in designing a farm pond is selecting the proper location. Soils and watershed quality are very important considerations. The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is the agency to contact for their pond design and construction expertise.

In Johnson County, contact

Gayla Speer                                                                              District Manager, Johnson County Conservation District                    913-715-7022                                                        gayla.speer@jocogov.org


Farm Pond Design and Construction Publications

Additional Resources

The United State Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is a valuable resource for information.

Farm Pond Permits and Regulations

The design and construction of farm ponds is regulated by federal, state and county governments. This is done to protect you, your neighbors and the public. For more information: Farm Pond Permit Requirements

The Johnson County Public Works Department has guidelines for possible permits. Check out their web site for details.

Farm Pond Permit Requirements in Kansas This page lists federal and Kansas state agencies that can help you through the regulation and permitting process

Contact Us

Juju Wellemeyer 
Natural Resources and Mid/Small Scale Agriculture Agent       juju.Wellemeyer@jocogov.org