Recipe: Corn Relish
Yield: About 6 half pint jars (8 oz)
2 cups white vinegar
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups cooked corn kernels (about 8 ears)
2 cups diced mixed red and green bell peppers (about 2 large)
3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Wash jars and lids in warm soapy water. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use, do not boil. Set bands aside.
- Combine sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add corn, red and green peppers, celery, onion, mustard, celery seeds and turmeric. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Ladle hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
- Turn off heat, remove lid, let jars stand 5 minutes in canner.
- Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
More Canning Resources
Want more great food tips, recipes and nutrition info?
Sign up to receive In Good Health each month in your email inbox.