Johnson County Healthy Yards Expo
Saturday, April 1, 2017 — 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Location: Shawnee Civic Centre 13817 Johnson Drive Shawnee, KS 66216
The Eighth Annual Johnson County Healthy Yards Expo on Saturday, April 1, aims to help you make greener choices for your yards and homes. This free event will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Shawnee Civic Center, located at 13817 Johnson Drive in Shawnee.
The expo focuses on Kansas Healthy Yards and Communities (KHYC), a program developed by Kansas State University Research and Extension. KHYC helps homeowners make wise choices on environmentally conscious lawn and garden care techniques. Johnson County K-State Research and Extension is teaming with Johnson County Stormwater Management and the cities of Lenexa, Overland Park and Shawnee to present the event.
“The expo promotes eco-friendly practices and provides education so that you can do your part for clean water, air and healthy soils while maintaining an attractive landscape,” said Dennis Patton, horticulture agent for Johnson County Extension. “Without proper care the practices that we do to manage our landscape will have an effect on our water supply. Runoff or misapplications of products can move into our rivers, and ultimately in our drinking water.”
The expo highlights many simple and easy practices that can be done to achieve a nice yard.
The Healthy Yards Expo will feature businesses, non-profits and tips that meet the program’s criteria, helping Johnson County and surrounding area residents become “greener” in their lawn and garden care.
The expo is a great place to get new ideas from experts. It’s a one-stop learning event on green ideas and services.
Visitors to the Expo can:
- Register for Door Prizes! Get rain barrels and a compost bins.
- The first 100 visitors will receive a free tree seedling, courtesy of Overland Park.
- The first 500 visitors will receive an assortment of native plants to try in their home gardens, courtesy of Johnson County Stormwater Management.
- Visit with Johnson County K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners and local plant societies. They’ll offer expert advice on gardening and plant cultivation.
- Talk with city representatives to find out what’s going on in your neighborhood and learn about cost share programs for establishing rain garden and rain barrels.
- Listen to informative speakers on topics such as native plants, pollinators, vegetable gardening and landscaping
- Visit the soil trailer, an underground experience for young and old.
- Enjoy free Stone Lion Puppets shows for the children.
Johnson County Residents — Get a FREE soil test
Johnson County residents can get a free soil test, complements of Johnson County Stormwater Management and Johnson County Extension.
- Bring your soil sample to the Expo to receive the free testing. How to take a soil test.
- A soil test will provide you with the fertility needs to grow healthy plants while protecting our soil and water.
We are currently looking for businesses and non-profit groups to have a booth during the Expo. Your business must be a green related product to the home and landscape. The committee must approve any vendors. For more information please download the application or contact us.