Becoming a Johnson County Extension Master Gardener
If you have a passion for gardening and would like to share horticulture information with others, consider volunteering with the Johnson County Extension Master Gardeners (EMGs).
- Date: June 28
- Time: 1 - 3pm
- Location: Extension Office
Interested in learning more about the EMG program but not for sure it is for you? Come to the orientation session and learn more about the exciting opportunities in the Johnson County Extension Master Gardener volunteer program.
Johnson County EMG Acceptance Process
We accept one EMG "class" of new volunteers each year. We accept about 30 people each year and usually have more applicants than openings. Our selection process takes into account garden experience, volunteer experience, and overall enthusiasm for public service and the mission of the EMG program. We also look for people who have ample free time during the weekdays, since that is when the majority of our projects and trainings occur.
- EMG Application for Class of 2018
- Application Deadline: July 14, 2017
Application Guidelines For Participation
- Be a resident of Johnson County
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess a broad interest in horticulture
- Understand the value of volunteering
- Support the objectives of the EMG program and the Extension programs of the Johnson County Extension Council
- Attend the 56-hour basic EMG Training Course held on Tuesdays, September through November
- Complete 40 hours of volunteer work with Advisory Board-authorized activities, including at least three EMG Hotline shifts, by September the following year of training
- Continue an annual commitment to volunteer a minimum of 30 hours on volunteer projects, and attend at least 10 hours of EMG advanced training
- Agree to support the Extension pest control policy based on a combination of sound horticulture practices, "organic" controls, and chemical treatment as necessary
- Pay $125 entrance fee to cover the cost of materials, trainer's fees, meals and other expenses
If you have any questions about the EMG program or the application process, please contact Nicia Gdanski, EMG Coordinator, at Nicia.Gdanski@jocogov.org or (913) 715-7000.