Butternut Sausage Soup Recipe
Recipe by Chelsea Reinberg, MPH, RDN
This soup is the perfect comfort food that is not only delicious but provides a ton of nutrition including fiber, potassium, vitamin A, and protein. Note, you will need a blender in order to make this soup into the perfect creamy texture.
Large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound turkey sausage, cooked
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup half and half (or use heavy cream or coconut milk)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1. Wash hands with warm soapy water.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Slice butternut squash in half and remove seeds.
- Place butternut squash on baking sheet, drizzle with half the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn butternut squash over and place cut side down. Roast for 60 minutes or until soft.
- While squash is cooking, cook sausage over medium-high heat until cooked through to 165 °F. Set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the sausage, add half the oil and chopped onions. Cook until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Stir in garlic and remaining spices, cook for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Once butternut squash is done, let cool then remove the skin. Cut into cubes.
- In a large stock pot, put in squash, vegetable broth, maple syrup and cream. Bring to a boil.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender, puree soup until smooth and creamy. Add cooked sausage and onion into pot and bring back to a boil for 1 minute.
- Serve warm.
Want more great food tips, recipes and nutrition info?
Sign up to receive In Good Health each month in your email inbox.