Johnson County Extension Master Gardener Public Garden Tour
Thank you to everyone who attended our garden tour in 2018. Our next tour will be May 2020.
Hosted by the Johnson County K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners (EMGs), this beloved biennial event is your chance to peek inside and tour seven of the most beautiful private gardens in Kansas City.
Why We're Different
Our garden tour is unique! Each garden is owned and maintained by one of our EMGs.
By opening up these private gardens you get a rare chance to wander through your neighbor's backyard and see and learn from local experts.
While on the tour you will receive information about each garden and educational fact sheets full of practical tips and ideas.
Ask the Experts
We welcome your questions as we want you to learn from your experience. The garden owners and our university-trained EMG volunteers will be available throughout the tour to answer all your questions.
We are confident you will discover a gem that appeals to your individual taste. Take time to stop, look, listen, photograph and enjoy! We encourage pictures!
New in 2018 — Seven Distinct Designs
This year we offer seven gardens selected for:
- their individual qualities and range of gardening styles;
- representing solutions to many gardening challenges commonly found in our region;
- teachables to help you learn and incorporate.
This tour is a plant lover and landscaping dream. You'll see:
- a diverse plant palette featuring unique trees and shrubs,
- a backyard with a stream,
- interesting perennials and plant combinations,
- a backyard scape that will have you wanting to slip off your shoes and dip your toes into the refreshing cool water.
You'll discover takeaways from each garden such as the clever use of artwork or the newest plant introduction. More than anything, the selected gardens reflect the personalities of the owners as they have truly created their own secluded spaces for rest and relaxation.
As a bonus many of these featured gardens are within blocks of each other making this an easy tour to navigate.
Biennial — Every other year
You don’t want to miss your chance to enjoy these private gardens. years.
You'll come away dreaming of all the simple things you can do to transport your own landscape from dull to delightful.
Handcrafted Garden Art and Hostas
Our Extension Master Gardener volunteers have outdone themselves this time. They have created one of kind hand crafted garden art. But hurry... these sell out quickly! Back by popular demand are the hostas, with a wide selection of the newest varieties for your garden.
Shop Our Garden Boutiqu
- Sand-casted Concrete Garden Leaves — Each unique leaf is handcrafted and sculpted by one of our many creative EMGs.
- Peace Poles — Designed and hand painted wood monuments that display whimsical scenes to create eye-catching statements for every garden.
- Stepping Stones — Hand painted concrete stepping stones in a variety of fun colorful designs.
- Hostas — National hosta expert, "Rob the Hosta Guy" from Made in the Shade Gardens will be on hand with a large selection of hosta varieties and to answer your questions.