Healthy Yard and Environment Tip: December
Use Ice Melt Products Sparingly
Excess use can damage lawn and concrete surfaces. When applying ice melts be sure to avoid over-spray onto the lawn and planting areas. It is recommended to stop applying within a few inches of the walk edges to reduce runoff and plant damage.
Organic alternatives to ice melts include sand and kitty litter. These work well for small problem spots.
Other end of season chores include:
- Remove hoses from outside faucets and drain to help prevent freezing damage.
- Turn off and drain your in-ground sprinkler system.
- Avoid walking on frozen turf as footprints can damage the lawn.
- Avoid piling snow deeply on lawn or plant materials.
- Store chemicals in a location that does not freeze and, of course, out of reach of children and pets.