Kansas Healthy Yards Expo
Make greener choices for your yard and home at the Johnson County Healthy Yards Expo — a FREE Earth-friendly lawn and garden event.
Saturday, April 13, 2024
9 AM to 2 PM
Shawnee Civic Centre
13817 Johnson Drive Shawnee, KS 66216
Kansas Healthy Yards and Communities (KHYC), developed by K-State Research and Extension, helps homeowners make better choices on environmentally conscious lawn and garden care techniques.
Johnson County Extension is teaming with Johnson County Stormwater Management and the cities of Lenexa, Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee and Unified Government of Wyandotte County to present the Expo.
Discover simple, easy Earth-friendly practices for achieving a nice yard while still protecting our water, air, and healthy soils.
The Healthy Yards Expo features
- seminars, and
to help residents become “greener” in their lawn and garden care. It’s a one-stop learning event on green ideas and services.
Be sure to:
- Register for Door Prizes!
- Free Tree Seedling: First 100 visitors get a free tree seedling, courtesy of Overland Park.
- Visit with Johnson County K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners and local plant societies. They’ll offer expert advice on gardening and plant cultivation.
- Talk with city representatives to find out what’s going on in your neighborhood and learn about cost share programs for establishing rain gardens and rain barrels
- Listen to informative speakers on topics such as native plants, pollinators, vegetable gardening and landscaping
- Choose from a wide selection of native plants that will thrive in your garden. Locally and organically grown, shop the best native plants for our area.
- DIY Radon Kits: Visit with university experts and learn how this radioactive gas can cause lung cancer and why you should test your home here in Johnson County. Learn more about Radon in Johnson County
Enjoy a free puppet show by Stone Lion Puppets. Performances at 10:30 AM and 12 PM.
Breakfast and lunch will be available for purchase during the Expo provided by a local Boy Scout Troop.
Johnson County Residents: Get a FREE soil test
Johnson County residents can get a free soil test, compliments of Johnson County Stormwater Management and Johnson County Extension. A soil test will provide you with the fertility needs to grow healthy plants while protecting our soil and water.
- Bring your soil sample to the Expo to receive the free testing. How to take a soil test.
We are currently looking for businesses and non-profit groups to have a booth during the Expo. Your business must be a green related product to the home and landscape. The committee must approve any vendors. For more information please download the application or contact Lesley Rigney, Johnson County Stormwater Management, at email@example.com or 913-715-8316.