1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Home and Family
  5. »Agent Articles
  6. »indoor air quality agent articles
  7. »Radon in Johnson County, Kansas

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Radon in Johnson County, Kansas

Return to Home and Family Agent Articles

Is radon a problem in Johnson County? Yes, radon levels in Johnson County test on average at 5.3(pCi/L) which is above the EPA’s radon action level of 4.0 picocuries of radon per liter of indoor air (pCi/L). The primary concern associated with long-term exposure to elevated indoor radon levels is increased risk of developing lung cancer at some point in your life.

Radon causes cancer
Radon exposure in your home is the second overall cause of lung cancer death behind tobacco smoking in the United States, and the leading cause of lung cancer death for non-smokers. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) estimates that as many as 200 new cases of radon-related lung cancer occur each year in Kansas.

What is radon?
Radon is a naturally occurring colorless, odorless, and tasteless radioactive gas created by the decay of uranium in the earth’s crust and present everywhere on the planet. Long-term exposure to elevated levels of ionizing radiation produced by radon increases your lifetime risk for lung cancer. Testing is the only way to know radon levels in your home.

The Surgeon General of the United States Health Advisory states: “Indoor radon gas is a national health problem. Radon causes thousands of deaths each year. Millions of homes have elevated radon levels. Most homes should be tested for radon. When elevated radon levels are confirmed, the problem should be corrected.”

How to test for radon in your home
Radon test kits can be obtained from our office for a reduced fee. Test kits purchased through Johnson County Extension includes the laboratory analysis fee and return postage.

  • The radon test kits are available for $15 per kit.
  • The kits must be picked up at our office, (sorry we can't mail them).
  • Office hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
  • Our address is 11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 1500, Olathe, KS 66061. Map to our office.

What to do if your test results indicate unacceptable levels of radon
So what do you do if your home has elevated radon levels? The most common technique used to reduce elevated indoor radon levels in a single or two story home is by installing an Active Soil Depressurization System. An ASD radon mitigation system is a permanently installed pipe and fan system that places a direct constant vacuum on the soil beneath the house’s foundation, constantly reducing the amount of radon under the foundation that can penetrate into the living space of the home.

For more information on radon click here or at Kansas Radon Program 1 (800) 693-5343 www.kansasradonprogram.org

Contact Us

Joy Miller, Family               Community Wellness Agent