Income Tax Season is Coming to a Close: 7 Quick Filing Tips
Return to Home and Family Agent Articles
- Tax Year 2015 income tax returns are due Monday, April 18, 2016 because Friday, April 15, 2016 is Emancipation Day, a legal holiday in Washington, D. C.
- Research shows that people who complete their own income tax returns have a better understanding of how their behaviors and life choices affect their financial wellbeing, and take actions to improve their financial wellbeing as a result.
- If your total household income is less than $62,000, you may complete your own income tax return by using www.myfreetaxes.com/kc to get started.
- Another do-it-yourself option is available at www.irs.gov/freefile.
- The IRS projects nearly 80% of all returns will be filed on line. About two-thirds of all income tax returns will be filed through a paid preparer and one-third completed by do-it-yourselfers on their home computers.
- The last day for our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site at our office is Thursday, April 14, 2016. For more information about hours and what to bring to our VITA site click here.
- The best and fastest way to get your tax refund is to have it electronically deposited for free into your financial account. The IRS program is called direct deposit. You can use it to deposit your refund into one, two or even three accounts.