1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Home and Family
  5. »Agent Articles
  6. »Home and Family Agent Articles

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax
jo@listserv.ksu.eduMap to our office

Kansas State University is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. If you have special requirements due to a physical, vision, or hearing disability, contact Johnson County K-State Research and Extension, 913-715-7000.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Grandparent Caregivers

Return to Home and Family Agent Articles

Many grandparents are finding themselves in the position of raising their grandchildren. If you are in this the position, you are not alone. In Kansas, the number of grandparents raising grandchildren has increased by 43 percent over the past 10 years.

According to the United States Census Bureau there are an estimated 4,804 grandparents and grandchildren living in the same household in Johnson County. There are 1,675 grandparents who are the primary caregivers to their grandchildren.

Becoming a grandparent is a unique, powerful opportunity. Children benefit from both parents and grandparents. When the roles are combined, extra guidance can be helpful. For more information, explore the resources and opportunities available below.

Are there resources in Johnson County, Kansas?
Yes! Johnson County Area Agency on Aging provides information and services. Try calling (913) 715-8800 or visit their Caregiver Support website.

Is financial assistance available?
Yes! The Kansas Department for Children and Families has the Grandparents as Caregivers Cash Assistance program which provides monthly financial assistance to grandparents or other relatives raising children.

Check with Johnson County Area Agency on Aging for qualifications and maximum income levels for application by calling (913) 715-886.

You can also review Kansas guidelines at the following: http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Cash/GrandparentsasCaregivers.aspx

Want to learn more about Grandparents as primary caregivers?
K-State Research and Extension has the following resources:

Contact Us

Denise Dias
Family and Consumer Sciences Agent