1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Home and Family
  5. »Agent Articles
  6. »Advance Directives

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Advance Directives

Return to Home and Family Agent Articles

More and more, we hear about the need for advance planning for our medical care. If you were in a situation where you were unable to express your wishes, what kind of care would you want at the end of your life? Advance directives are legal documents that give family, friends, and health care providers information about your end of life wishes. Having advance directives in place can help avoid confusion and stress in an emergency.

The most common advance directives are: 

  • durable power of attorney for health care,
  • living will, and
  • pre-hospital do not resuscitate. 

In Kansas, an attorney is not needed to complete these documents but you must have witnesses sign them. For more details on completing these legal documents, refer to a new K-State Research and Extension publication Advance Health Care Planning in Kansas.

Advance directives can be a difficult topic to both contemplate and discuss. Here are some steps to help.

  • Gain more understanding of each option from your physician, health care providers, financial providers or your attorney.
  • Discuss your personal preferences with family, friends or a religious advisor. At any point, you can change your preferences, and revise your documents.
  • If this is difficult for you to bring up with your loved ones here are a few ideas to try.
    • You can write a letter expressing your desire to discuss this topic.
    • Show them copies of the forms, emphasizing the importance of the subject to you.
    • If you are really uncomfortable, you can hire an attorney to facilitate the discussion. 
    • Or ask a trusted friend to assist with the discussion.
  • Once the forms are completed, make copies, hand them out to family, trusted friends, hospital, and physician. Finally store extra copies in your important files, purse, and glove box of your car.

Review more information on advance directives at: http://www.bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/MF3280.pdf.

Contact Us

Joy Miller

Family and Community Wellness Agent