1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Health and Nutrition
  5. »Articles
  6. »Your Freezer and Food Safety

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Your Freezer and Food Safety

Getting to know your freezer

Return to Heath and Nutrition Agent Articles

Freezer with frozen foodOne of my favorite tools in my kitchen is my freezer. It saves my leftovers, allows me to buy meat on sale in bulk for future meals and holds an essential food in our household — ice cream. It’s like a magic box which can often seem like a mystery box. What can you freeze? How long should you freeze it? And, what the heck is freezer burn??

The United States Department of Agriculture provides insightful knowledge on this wonderful kitchen stalwart, the modern freezer. Click on this link Freezing and Food Safety to learn more about what foods can be frozen and how to store them safely.

Back to Agent Articles

Contact Us

Family and Consumer Sciences Agent