1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Agriculture Articles
  6. »Herbicide Help

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

Office Hours:

Make an appointment, before coming into the office.

Monday - Friday,
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities and programs accessible to all participants. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Johnson County Extension at (913)715-7000. Notify staff of accommodation needs as early as possible.

Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service

K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Herbicide Help

Return to Crops and Livestock Agent Articles

Controlling weeds is almost always a challenge. When do you control them? What do you treat them with? What are the specific label requirements? Most of these questions can be answered with a little bit of help from some good resources.

K-State puts together a good herbicide publication each year called 2017 Chemical Weed Control for Field Crops, Pastures, Rangeland, and Noncropland. The 2017 version is available on-line at http://www.bookstore.ksre.ksu.edu/pubs/chemweedguide.pdf

I often use this resource to see what herbicides are labeled for a given crop and for a particular timing (pre-emerge or post-emerge). Once I have that narrowed down, I look for more specific information the label will tell me like rates and restrictions.

Here are a couple of good on-line label sources:

Our K-State Research and Extension Agronomy web site has all these links and more in one spot.  Check out their link at www.agronomy.k-state.edu/extension/weed-management

Contact Us

Juju Wellemeyer 
Natural Resources and Mid/Small Scale Agriculture Agent        juju.Wellemeyer@jocogov.org