Fun AG Facts
Return to Crops and Livestock Agent Articles
There are many surprising facts in the world around us, but did you know…
- One bushel of wheat contains a million individual kernels
- weighs about 60 pounds
- makes approximately 42 pounds of white flour, or
- 60 pounds of whole wheat flour.
- On an ear of corn, there is one silk strand for every kernel.
- One tiny grain of pollen from the tassel (top part of a corn plant) must land on each silk in order for each kernel of corn to be produced.
- A corn cob will nearly always have an even- number of rows on each cob. Count them next time you enjoy an ear of corn.
- Soybeans are used to manufacture many commonly found household products including ink, sunscreen, lotion, candles, particleboard, tofu, and crayons.
- A dairy cow produces about six to seven gallons of milk per day.
- A handful of soil contains more microorganisms than the population of the entire world.
- It takes between 100 to 500 years to form an inch of top soil.