1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Johnson County
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Agriculture Articles
  6. »Forage Testing Determines How Much to Feed Livestock

Johnson County

Research-based Information You Can Trust — Localized for your needs

Johnson County
11811 S. Sunset Drive
Suite 1500
Olathe, KS 66061

(913) 715-7000
(913) 715-7005 fax

Map to our office

Forage Testing Will Help You Determine How Much to Feed Livestock

Return to Crops and Livestock Agent Articles

Do you remember the warn days of June and July when hay was being cut and put into bales of hay? Or was it August or later because of the rainy year we had? Either way, testing your hay to find out the protein and energy content is the only way to know how much you need to feed this winter.

A forage test is as simple as taking a soil test, especially if you have a forage probe. The probe fits on the end of a cordless drill and allows you to take core samples out of small square or big round bales. After you’ve taken several samples, mix them together in a bucket. From the mixture, pull out enough hay to fill a gallon Ziploc bag, and send it to your favorite lab.

If you need help with a lab suggestion, want to borrow a forage probe, or need help making sense of the results, give me a call or stop by the office for a visit.  Also check out K-State’s publication on Forage Sampling Procedures and Equipment.

Contact Us

Jessica Barnett
Agriculture and Natural Resources Agent