Johnson County 4-H Volunteers
One principle of positive youth development is based on the benefit of a positive, sustained relationship of the young person with a caring adult. Youth gain the confidence, connections, and caring they need to achieve their potential.
As the largest youth development organization in Kansas and across the nation, 4-H must lead by conducting the most effective strategies and practices in volunteer screening and selection. All youth deserve a safe and caring environment, and all parents and guardians should expect that when their children are entrusted to the 4-H program, each child will be in a safe setting with caring adults.
Kansas 4-H continues to grow and improve. Strengthening its policy for volunteer registration fulfills an obligation to children, parents, volunteers, and employees. Providing greater security for all people involved in Kansas 4-H is the right thing to do. It is also important that we protect the image and integrity of 4-H, K-State Research and Extension, and Kansas State University.
Wondering what ways you can volunteer? Click How can I help?
Steps to become a Johnson County Registered 4-H Volunteer:
- Application-If your family uses the Kansas 4-H Online system at https://v2.4honline.com/, you already have a family account. Login to your family and add yourself as a new family member if you don't already have an adult profile. If your family has never used 4-H Online, you will need to create a new family account before creating an adult profile for yourself.
- Orientation-Complete the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Orientation
- Interview-After completing the Kansas 4-H Volunteer Orientation, email Ami at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a face-to-face interview.
- Background Check-Information regarding the background check will be provided during the face-to-face interview.
- Approval-Local extension office will submit the applicant for approval by the Extension Board. Once approved, the Extension office will send a letter concerning volunteer status and appointment for 4-H work.
Once you are a Registered Volunteer
- Re-enroll in 4-H Online annually (Once you have completed this the first time your information will be saved from the previous year, you just need to review and submit.)
- A Background Check will be required every 3 years. (This will automatically be run every 3 years once you have completed the initial background check)
Who Must Complete the volunteer process?
All individuals who work directly with youth are required to complete the Kansas 4-H volunteer screening process. Volunteer screening is done in order to assure a safe, positive, and nurturing environment for all youth involved with the Kansas 4-H programs and provide protection for the child, the volunteer, the agent, the Extension Board, and the Kansas State Research and Extension.
- Kansas 4-H Volunteer Code of Ethics (Updated 2019)