Johnson County Extension Master Gardener Public Garden Tour
Friday May 18 and Saturday May 19, 2018 rain or shine!
9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
• Tickets available April 2018
We hope you enjoyed our 2016 tour. Planning is underway for the 2018 tour. For now enjoy the photos of the 2016 tour and we look forward to seeing you on the tour in 2018.
Hosted by the Johnson County K-State Research and Extension Master Gardeners (EMGs), this beloved biennial event is your chance to peek inside and tour six of the most beautiful private gardens in Kansas City.
Why We're Different
Our tour is unique from other area garden tours! Each garden is owned and maintained by one of our EMGs. At each garden you will receive information about the development of the garden. We encourage asking questions as we want you to learn from your experience. Each garden has a simple fact sheet with tips and ideas that you can use in your garden ranging from using native plants and edibles in the landscape to gardening with dogs.
We are confident you will discover a gem that surely appeals to your particular taste. And, we encourage pictures and taking time to stop, look, listen and enjoy!
2016 Gardens — Six Distinct Designs
Each garden reflects the Extension Master Gardener's passion. They range in style from a wildlife habitat, to a lush pool surrounded by extensive plantings, to a suburban farm garden that produces fruits, vegetables and home-made honey from bee hives on the property. All of the gardens are within an easy drive, located in Overland Park and Lenexa.
The six gardens were selected for:
- their individual qualities and range of gardening styles;
- representing solutions to many gardening challenges commonly found in our region;
- as a teaching garden to help you learn and incorporate ideas into your own garden.
- Duma Garden – Amazingly Creative
- Elpers Garden – Artistic Oasis
- Ruse Garden – Sweeps, Specimens and Spaces
- Sinclair Garden – Naturally Native
- Thomas Garden – One Tasty Treat
- Vierthaler – Barren to Beautiful
Ask the Experts
Touring these gardens provides a rare chance to peek into your neighbor's backyard and see and learn from local experts. University-trained EMG volunteers will be available throughout the gardens to answer all your questions.
While on the tour you will receive information about the garden and educational fact sheets full of practical tips to take home so that you can incorporate new plants, plant combinations and ideas to create your own personal oasis.
Handcrafted Garden Art and Hostas
Our Extension Master Gardener volunteers have outdone themselves this time. They have created one of kind hand crafted garden art. But hurry... these sell out quickly! Back by popular demand are the hostas, with a wide selection of the newest varieties for your garden.
- Concrete Garden Leaves — Each unique leaf is handcrafted and sculpted by one of our many creative EMGs.
- Mosaic Wheels – You have to see them to believe these beautiful planters that have been created. EMG volunteers have transformed tire rims into tiled pieces of art, each unique. They can be turned into planters or bubblers great for creating water movement or bird and butterfly friendly pools.
- Fairy Houses – Wow, what detail! Each house is a work of art made from natural materials. They would make a great addition to your fairy garden or better yet as indoor décor.
- Hypertufa – Handmade with love these pots will make a great garden addition. The compact size is perfect for developing a miniature, fairy garden or succulent garden.
- All garden art will be available for purchase at the Sinclair Garden. Cash, check and credit will be accepted.
- Hostas — National hosta expert, "Rob the Hosta Guy" from Made in the Shade Gardens will be on hand with a large selection of hosta varieties and to answer your questions. Hostas will be available for purchase at the Elpers Garden.