Application Deadline: Friday, August 17, 2018
This position is responsible for greeting, welcoming and directing the public and visitors to the appropriate individual, event or information. This role serves as the office professional support for the horticulture program, performing office administrative duties.
- Greet visitors. Answer and direct calls. Respond to routine requests from the public and clients.
- Prepare and distribute paper and electronic materials.
- Process class and event registrations utilizing online software.
- Prepare routine documents, logs, reports, etc. Sort and file materials.
- Maintain databases and mailing lists.
- Edit and design written materials for print media and promotion.
- Work closely with Extension Master Gardener volunteers to help coordinate activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Customer service focused. Must enjoy working with the public and exhibit grace under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Learn quickly, follow instructions, multi-task with good time-management skills and attention to detail. Strong organizational skills required.
- Writing, spelling, grammar and basic math. Ability to edit educational materials.
- Operate general office equipment and personal computers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2010 suites and programs, including Excel, Publisher and Outlook.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database in a PC environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma. Additional educational training a plus.
• Minimum of 2 years professional experience working in an office environment
Work duties are primarily sedentary and will be performed at a desk or in an office environment. Work may require some repetitive movement of the arms and hands. There may be some moderate physical exertion such as carrying supplies and other items associated with educational events. Successful applicants should enjoy horticulture, gardening and maintain a friendly attitude while interacting with people.
Benefits include retirement, health, vacation and sick leave.
K-State Research and Extension is committed to making its services, activities, and programs accessible to all participants. If you have special requirements due to a physical, vision, or hearing disability, please contact our office. K-State Research and Extension is an equal opportunity provider and employer.