The Johnson County Extension program has a wealth of knowledge provided by our family and consumer sciences agent, Crystal Futrell. Crystal has developed numerous articles for the local media and press releases on timely topics. These articles can assist you with finding the information you need to make wise choices in the your life. The articles are grouped by subject matter for ease.
Food and Food Safety
- Affordable Beef
- Buying and Storing Fresh Produce
- Edible Salad Weeds
- Family Meals: Are they worth the hassle?
- Farmers Markets Food Safety
- Food Chemicals: Can I Eat It If I Can’t Pronounce It?
- Fresh Produce: Do’s and Don’ts for Buying and Storing Fresh Produce
- Fresh Vegetables Options
- Home Canning in the 21st Century
- The Juicing Versus Blending Debate
- Keeping Warm in Winter: Spud Soup Recipe
- Making Fish Less "Fishy"
- Heart Healthy Nuts and Fish for Valentine’s Day
- Make Half Your Plate Fruits and Vegetables
- Oatmeal's Benefits: Fiber health
- Picnic Food Safety
- Preserving and Canning
- Preventing Food Waste
- Pulses (Legumes): Plant-based Proteins
- Roasting Vegetables
- Super Fit Super Bowl: Healthy game day foods
- Top 10 Food Safety Myths
- What is Clear Jel®?
- Avoid Catching Colds
- The Benefits of Green Tea
- Breaking Bad Habits
- Caffeine Products Comparison
- Cancer Prevention: Eating
- Coffee Health Benefits: Could keep the doctor away
- Colon Health: This Holiday Season, Let Your Colon Be Your Guide
- Creating Lasting Healthy Habits
- Drink Water Instead of Sugary Drinks
- Ebola FAQs
- Five Key Steps to Avoiding the Flu: How to Wash Your Hands.
- Halt the Salt
- Hand Sanitizers: The nasty truth
- Healthful Strategies for Surviving the Holidays
- Reclaim Your Strength
- Reduce Your Cancer Risk
- Seasonal Affective Disorder: The SAD facts of winter blues
- Sitting is the New Smoking
- Summertime Family Activities